Does linen have a front side and a back side? If it does, should you care?
The "linen has a front" camp:
- Over time, stitches done on the wrong side may become distorted.
- Pull lightly on the bias. The corners of the fabric will curl towards the front.
The "linen does not have a front" and "linen has a front but it does not matter" camps:
- Some linen has a shinier side, but that is due to processing after the weaving is done.
- If an expert has trouble telling the difference, it must not matter very much.
- Weavers for one of the big stitching fabric companies say the two sides are identical.